Great Meadow (Dirk Bogarde)

For me, memories of childhood are mostly snippets evoked by an old picture, a smell, a sound.  These evocations have the feel of truth although my intellect tells me to be suspicious. Less often, and less reliably, I consciously recall ancient (yes, the word is usually accurate) events from my memory "banks".  In a number of cases, there is good evidence from relatives that "my" memories have been embellished, or even invested.  I cannot recall a single instance where I can reconstruct a sequence of activity over a number of days - much as I would like to.

Thus, I read Dirk Bogarde's enchanting book as delightful literary fiction. If it is autobiography, then Dirk's memory banks are extraordinary. More likely, the story deserves that common subtitle "based on a true story".

My pleasure in the reading arose from the charm of the detailed portrait of tranquil, rural lifestyle from a child's naive but fresh perspective. As always, the sense that it is substantially true adds to the vibrancy (otherwise why would so many writers add that prominent subtext ?).

We live with Dirk through the chores and challenges of daily life at the family holiday house in Great Meadow, Sussex where they are cared for by their nanny in the absences of their "well to do" London based parents.

Dirk weaves structure into the account with a number of extended themes such as Dirk’s relationship with his sister, his nanny’s romantic relationship, as well as a refugee bring a hint of the impending world war.  The narrator’s also shows character development – starting as a precocious child of 6 and ending the book with a developing self-awareness.

A delightful and relaxing read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment or Send a Message

You can use this form to send a message OR make a comment as your contribution is NOT published automatically, but sent to Stephen for
consideration.


You can select "anonymous" from the drop down menu below if you do not have a google account.